There are many ways to market and advertise your e-commerce business. Whether you use email newsletters, a sales letter posted on your website, video content, informative articles, or a pay per click campaign, all of them need to include some Call To Action on the part of the reader or visitor.
In fact, without a call to action, all of your marketing and online advertising efforts may be worthless. People need to be reminded, and encouraged, to perform the action that your marketing pieces are intended to promote.
It is just human nature to do as little as possible, a Call To Action helps to urge a person to act instead of being passive.
Call To Action – Key Terms
The best way to get a potential customer to act is to offer them an incentive to do so. There are several key phrases and terms you might want to use to accomplish this:
• Deadline – Order by a certain date (make it within the same month as the marketing piece is delivered, if applicable).
• Price Increase – Order before a certain date to avoid the price increase.
• Free Trial – Offer something for free, but only for a limited time period.
• No Risk Trial – Delay charging a credit card for a specific term, such as two weeks, so that the customer can decide if he or she likes the item. Remember to offer an easy return policy with no questions asked.
• Free Gift – Include a freebie with all orders placed by a certain date, or offered to the first 100 responders.
• Free Upgrade – Let your customers receive a better model for the same price as the base model for a limited time period.
• Exclusive – whether it is a particular product or offer, let customers know that you are the only company offering it.
• Free Shipping – Again, add a time limit to place the order and not be charged the cost of mailing the item.
Don’t use passive or ambiguous phrases such as “give us a call”. These rarely prompt people to immediate action. Always clearly identify the date that applies to any special offers.
Make The Process Easy
Nothing is more frustrating than being compelled to act only to find the process is difficult or confusing. Make sure that all links direct the visitor to the proper landing page to buy, or fill out a form, or whatever type of action you wish them to take. If you make the link with a unique URL, you can easily track the conversion rate and determine if the marketing piece was effective.
Provide all your contact information. Include a phone number, an email address, and a mailing address. Some people are still sceptical of doing business over the internet and this gives them an alternate way to make a purchase.
The Call To Action is an important part of any advertising or marketing piece. Don’t leave it up to the consumer to do something on their own, incite them to act, and to do so right away, this is imperative for boosting your online sales.